There are many places called Suuremõisa in Estonia. Hiiu-Suuremõisa (Dago-Grossenhof) is in Pühalepa municipality in eastern Hiiumaa. It is 6 km from Heltermaa Harbour, 18 km from Kärdla and 16 km from Hiiessaare airport. Hiiu-Suuremõisa is one of the grandest baroque manor complexes in Estonia. Today the manor is home to Hiiumaa Vocational School and Suuremõisa's kindergarten and elementary school.

 

 

Owners of Suuremõisa

During the Swedish era, from 1624-1710, the manor was owned by the De la Gardie family. Jakob De la Gardie (1583-1652) was the owner from 1624-1652. The manor was inherited by his son Axel Julius De la Gardie (1637-1710; Governor General of Estonia from 1687-1704). In 1691, during the sequestering of state property, the King of Sweden recalled Suuremõisa manor but rented it out to its previous owner. After the Great Northern War (1710-1755), Suuremõisa became a rental property for the Russian army and was rented by noblemen.

In 1755, Countess Ebba Margaretha Stenbock (born De la Gardie; 1704-1775) regained possession of the manor and most of the domains on Hiiumaa owned by her grandfather Axel Julius De la Gardie thanks to her perseverance.

The countess' son Jakob Pontus von Stenbock (1744–1824) fell into severe debt and pawned the mansion in 1796 to Otto Reinhold Ludwig von Ungern-Sternberg (1744–1811). The latter was known as a ‘pirate’, even though this has not been proven, and as the killer of Captain Malm. For this he was sent to Siberia.

After the death of Otto Reinhold Ludwig, Suuremõisa was inherited by his widow Magdaleena Charlotte von Ungern-Sternberg (1749-1824), who bequeathed it to her son Peter Ludwig Konstantin von Ungern-Sternberg (1779-1836). This baron was also known as the founder of the Kärdla broadcloth factory.

In 1836 the mansion went to Konstantin’s second wife Charlotte Helene Elisabeth von Ungern-Sternberg (1796-1850). In the 1840s it was managed by Konstantin’s son Adam Theodor Andreas von Ungern-Sternberg (1819-1847).

In 1849 the baroness sold it to her son Ewald Alexander Andreas von Ungern-Sternberg (1824-1899) who was later awarded the title of Count for his actions – ‘Old Evald’ continued developing the mansion and expanding the park.

The legal heir of Ewald Alexander Andreas von Ungern-Sternberg was his son, Count Ewald Adam Gustav Paul Konstantin von Ungern-Sternberg (1863-1909), who made a name for himself as the builder of Ungru Manor near Haapsalu.

After the death of Ewald Ungern-Sternberg in 1909, Suuremõisa was inherited by his mother Countess Adele (Ada) von Ungern-Sternberg (1833-1915), who bequeathed both it and Soonlepa manor to her daughter Dorothea von Stackelberg (born 1870). Helene von Ungern-Sternberg (born 1854), the eldest daughter of the Countess, lived at Suuremõisa and later in Elistvere manor, which was owned by her brother Klaus (1877–1934) – who only rarely visited Suuremõisa, living mostly in Germany.

One part of the mansion was rented by Dorothea von Stackelberg and later by her brother Klaus von Ungern-Sternberg until 1929.

Mittetulundusühing Suuremõisa Loss | Tel: +372 513 6269 | E-post: mty-juhatus@hak.edu.ee
Download Joomla Templates